Jet Packs

     As a kid I was fascinated with science fiction and loved those old black and white movies on television that played on Saturday afternoons. The flying saucers and ray guns captured my imagination yet made me a little uneasy thinking "what if?"  But the uneasiness (is that a word?) was replaced with excitement and anticipation as I watched my favorite cartoon, the Jetsons, each week. The flying cars and moving sidewalks were cool but didn't begin to compare with George Jetson's jet pack that allowed him to fly anywhere he wanted. I dreamed of being able to fly, and had even tried many times unsuccessfully in my Superman costume. But a jetpack made sense! The 21st century couldn't come soon enough but seemed so far away. Sometime around the third grade I figured out that when the year 2000 dawned I would be an old man of 42. If jetpacks were a reality in the new millennium, it would be helpful to me since I would probably be having a hard time getting around because of my age.   Such was the thinking of a 9 year old.
      Sad to say the 21st century rolled around and jetpacks were not the norm.   I'm now 55 and still don't feel I'm any closer to being George Jetson than I was in 1967.   I drive a Ford Taurus to work but I still daydream about the possibilities.  My hopes took an upswing last week as my daughter showed me pictures of a water jet pack.  I can so see me hooked up to this.  However I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.  So if you have one of these and would like to give a humble minister a ride, give me a holla.  In the meantime I still can dream can't I?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Anti-Bucket List