Cheeses of the World

Three months have passed since my last blog and lots has happened in our family.  Both kids have left for college and for the first time in 22 years there are no children in our house, unless you count the two black dogs they left behind.  There are so many things I could blog about today, but the pressure has been mounting to address one of the promised topics from my first blog - cheeses of the world.

Yes it's no secret this is one of my favorite topics, cheese.  A deep love for cheese comes from my Hall family roots.   If I was on a desert island and could have only one food, it would be cheddar cheese.  I know there are many varieties of cheese available, but I have to admit my bias toward the cheddar family.  Be it mild, medium, or sharp, I'm all over it.  Colby is also a favorite.  Sharp is definitely the best for melting on other foods and far superior when making nachos.  And while I'm at it, canned nacho sauce is an abomination to humanity!   If you want nachos, grate sharp cheddar over tortilla chips and then microwave or heat until melted (add other ingredients to taste).  The most outstanding combination of cheese and other foods by far is cheese and crackers with Ritz being the cracker of choice.  Mild or cheddar slices on top are good for a snack or any meal.  And yes, I'm admitting publicly to my affinity for cheese and crackers for breakfast.   And to take it up a notch, put a dab of strawberry preserves/jam on the cracker first and then add the slice of cheddar.   Delicious taste combination and awfully nutritious according to my calculation.  Fruit, dairy, and grains!  Don't tell me that isn't healthy!  And don't get me started on the nice taste you get with cheddar cheese and Fruity Pebbles cereal with milk.

But I digress and need to get back to my exploration of cheeses of the world.  One of the greatest things to happen in my town of Clinton, MS, was the opening of the new Kroger grocery store a few years back.  The deli section brought something that had not been seen before in our town - a gourmet cheese section.   For me it was like a Toys R Us store opening.   Nothing beats exploring the exotic packaging and displays of cheeses and when samples are set out, it just doesn't get any better.   Of course, I steer away from the smelly cheeses which smell like a baby bottle that's been left in the car for a week during Mississippi summer.  I am drawn to the Gouda like a fly is drawn to a red Popsicle!  I guess it's the red wax wrapping and the wheel or wedge shapes that send my senses into overload.  I take every opportunity I can to make a trip to Kroger, volunteering to go whenever needed and sometimes just stopping pretending I really need something.

But what's the greatest cheese of all?  The cheese that's had the biggest influence on my life?  It's hard to say this (because of my loyalty to my alma mater, Ole Miss), but the best cheese in the land comes from Mississippi State University in Starkville.    My first ball of Edam cheese and a block of cheddar was given to me as a Christmas present back in the 80's.   I was hooked immediately!   I drop hints all year long to friends, family, and colleagues to continue this tradition.   Nothing makes a better pimento cheese than MSU cheese.  And speaking of one of my favorite foods, pimento cheese, try combining the types of cheddar when making yours (my recipe available upon request).  Edam and sharp cheddar work best.

So enough of the everyday gourmet stuff.  Let's just say cheddar has had a big influence on my life.   So whether you like to cut the cheese yourself or buy it already sliced, support your dairy industry and do yourself a favor.   Help spread the word of one of life's great pleasures.  
*This blog is neither endorsed nor funded by the dairy industry, cheesemeisters, or any other special interest groups.  

Comments

  1. I'll have to agree with you about the State cheese. Daddy always used to get a ball of Edam as a gift from his work at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Anti-Bucket List